Friday, April 29, 2011

Running Date

My Mister and I had a date last night. A date to go running together. He has asked me several times in the past to go running with him, but I have always declined out of sheer terror. I  never wanted him to see how out of shape I was, how little I could run, and how out of breath and red-faced I would get. I was worried that somehow, that would make him love me less.

He has recently started to try to get into shape himself. With exercising and eating a bit better. When he asked me to go running I almost declined, but instead thought I would take a shot at it with him. I told him that I hadn't been running in 3 weeks and he knew that I wasn't as fast a runner as him with my stumpy little legs. I told him again.  We agreed to a half walk-half run of 4K. He isn't quite at a point where he can run the full thing either.

Off we went, running at the same pace- no idea what it was though. We agreed that if either of us needed to stop we would signal the other. We ran together to the agreed upon point- no problem, then walked, then started running again. After running and trying to stay at his pace, I thought I had to stop- I signaled, he signaled back- 3 more blocks. I slowed my pace, but pushed myself the last 3 blocks. We began to walk and I told him that he was faster than I and that I found it hard to keep up and compete with his regular pace of 6.0 (my pace is 5.0). I told him I would take a different route and meet up with him. I did. We finished off the run together and walked to cool down.

We talked during the cool down- I told him that even though I wasn't a top notch runner yet, I said I was proud of myself for actually getting out there. I said to him, "A year ago I would never have been able to run half of what I did today. I'm happy with that and the fact that I am getting healthier." A year ago, I would never have agreed to a run with him. I would have been too embarrassed. Now, the sweat, red face, and heavy breathing is all part of working hard to achieve my goal! They are almost like badges of honor- hard work!

Baby Steps. Baby. Steps.

-----------------------------------

No Weigh-In today!

:(

Tomorrow guaranteed. I was running late for a breakfast meeting this morning due to sleeping in.

3 comments:

  1. That's so awesome of him to run with you!! And so awesome of you to run with him!! See, dates don't always have to include a trip to a restaurant. Now if only I can get my hubby to see that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. High 5 to getting started!

    Megan
    mommyminded.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo-hoo! Great job you should be proud! I'm sure your Mr is proud of you too. It's so nice to have someone you trust to workout with!

    ReplyDelete